– Sustainable Winegrowing –
preserving our environment and the quality of our wine.
Sustainable Winegrowing New Zealand (SWNZ) was established in 1997 to help the industry elevate their performance in environmental, social and economic sustainability issues. Today, the SWNZ sets standards for vineyards and wineries that help preserve the environment and increase the quality of our wines. The group also manages communications with the public on the evolution and impact of our industry.
We harvest fruit from both estate and grower vineyards located in Marlborough’s two marquee regions: the Awatere and Wairau Valleys.
All of our vineyards are sustainably farmed and Dashwood Winery is Sustainable Winegrowing New Zealand certified.
- All estate vineyards used in Dashwood wines are certified by SWNZ
- All winemaking and bottling plants are accredited by SWNZ
- Soil and vine tests are conducted by an independent expert who makes recommendations based on soil type and grape variety
- Cover crops are planted to attract beneficial insects as well as to encourage nitrogen and other nutrients in the soil
- Moisture in the soil is measured to determine the least amount of water necessary to sustain healthy vines
- Irrigation audits are performed regularly
weed & disease
- The Dashwood team is trained in pest and disease monitoring protocols
- Mowers dispense clippings under the vines to enhance organic matter in the soil